Today was our smoothest day by far! Everyone's starting to get accustomed to the routines in our classroom and things are moving along.
We started the day with Reading Workshop, and I did a book talk about the Geronimo Stilton books. I've encouraged the children to recommend books to their classmates. They each have a place in our recommended books holder for these books. They are welcome to bring a book from home too, just make sure that their name is on the inside cover.
Then we had our first Spelling Pretest (see the link above for Spelling and Memory Verses), and if the students had any incorrectly spelled words they were to rewrite them twice. They also have a Spelling worksheet that they will be completing through the week as well as a memory verse that they will recite on Friday morning, right before the Spelling test.
After recess we had Writing Workshop (WW), and we read a great book by Lynne Perkins titled, "Pictures From Our Vacation". Ask your child about it! Then they went on to work on this week's journal entry about their vacation. The student's journals are not assessed for spelling or grammar or punctuation. I am simply looking for them to write, write, write and not worry about the "rules".
Then we had Math. I'm still working on the most effective way to teach Math to both grades and I almost have it mastered. Give us one more class and we'll be a fine-tuned machine, I'm certain! We continued our work with patterns today, with the Grade 4's working with a self-created Hundred Chart, and the Grade 3's working with grid paper.
After lunch it was time for Science, and we did a fun (albeit noisy!) experiment with sound. Be sure to ask your child about the balloons, and quiz them about what type of sound it was (explosion, vibration or blowing air).
We finished the day with Chapel, and Mrs. Everett led worship today. Have a wonderful evening everyone, and don't forget that it's picture day tomorrow and Meet the Teacher BBQ tomorrow night ($2 per person for the BBQ). I hope to see all of you there!
Some pictures of our Science experiment today...the fearless poppers...
and the timid observers!


No comments:
Post a Comment