Thursday, September 19, 2013

September 19, 2013 - Bee + Classroom = Mayhem!

What a fun day we had today!  We started with an opening exercise, and then moved on to Bible.  We've mastered (or almost mastered) the first 6 books of the Bible now.  Please quiz your child on these any time (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua) to help it stick in their minds.  We also talked and wrote about how to build a strong mind, body and spirit.

During Handwriting, the Grade 3's worked on their printed C's, D's, E's and F', while the 4's worked primarily with cursive A.

For Writing Workshop today we focused on homonyms (words that sound the same but mean something different - ie. their/they're/there).

The children had Library and Music, as well as DPA (with Mrs. Everett) today too.

Math today was further work with patterns for Grade 3 (ask them about the towers of pattern blocks we worked with), and the Grade 4's continued with solving and creating equations.

We finished the day with Art, and today we tied in our Math unit of patterns into our art assignment, which was to create a bubble/block letter of the first initial from our name, and then fill it in using a horizontal line pattern with watercolours. We had a buzzing visitor in our classroom during Art, which led to some chaos, but eventually I put on my super hero cape and trapped the bee in the garbage bag.  We've left a note for the custodian to NOT open the bag!

I've also installed All the Right Type on our classroom computer, so early finishers have an opportunity to work on their writing skills.  I've set up an account for each student in our class, so they will continue to improve their typing rather than starting over each time.  I look forward to seeing how well they're doing!

Here's a photo of Kylie trying our ATRT.

We had a blast in Chapel today singing Pharoah, Pharoah, and Gonna Jump Up and Down, as well as I've Got Peace Like a River.  I love worshiping with the kids - it's a highlight of my week. :)  If you have any songs your child really enjoys that you feel would be a great fit for chapel, please comment below!  Fresh music is always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment